Friday, September 24, 2010

My day at my first Spa

I was a young 19-year-old girl when I experienced my first spa experience. It was the week of my birthday and I had no expectations for my birthday other than having a small dinner and then going dancing. I finished my last class of my Wednesday classes and I was surprised by one of my friends. He showed up in his car outside my class and asked me to get in. He had a surprise. I sat in the car in complete anxiousness as to what was going on and where we were going. We took a turn and slowly pulled up to a day spa. My face lit up and I couldn’t believe I would be going to a spa for the first time. As a young girl growing up I was more of a tomboy and did not pamper myself or take on my girly ways until college but I was still at a stage where I would never pay for such a service. I entered the spa and the experience began..

Walking in the office felt clean but comfortable. I was greeted very warmly and with smiles. Immediately I had a feeling of happiness and good service. A smile can go a long way and they are contagious. They lead me to a room and instructed me on the events of my plan that my friend had paid for. They gave me clear instructions and made sure I was comfortable to ask questions and not be afraid to put a request for anything I needed. Each step of the way I was given complete instructions and they were delivered in a relaxed manner in which I could understand easily. When a consumer feels comfortable with a product or service they are more likely to enjoy it. They are capable of laying back and not being tense or stressed. I had a three-step process at the spa.

The first step was to get a facial in which the employee had me relax. Once she noticed I would engage in conversation she made sure to engage in conversation with me. It made me more comfortable because silence between me and another person becomes awkward to me and she quickly realized to make me comfortable she has to talk to me. We had light conversation and she took great interest in all that I had to say and at the same time she made me feel completely relaxed. I then moved to the next stage in which I was given a full body massage. This was different the conversation was one sided and it was the employee educating me on the process she was performing and for what reasons. I learned a lot about my body and what type of products and oils she was using and it was nice to know as she went what the reasons behind the type of massage she was doing were for. The last stage was a manicure, which was the same with her informing on the process, but she also allowed for me to talk as well.

The overall experience was amazing. I had never experienced such a thing in my life! I loved it! A friend gave the pampering that I would have originally not even thought of to pay for to me. My mindset was thinking that I would be wasting money on something I would not take home with me but indeed I did. The experience left me relaxed and at ease. Today I would pay for a service like that because I have experienced it and I found it very beneficial.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Monali,

    Another interesting story. You always write good personal story. If you can provide some visual aid with your great story, that would make your blog even better and more reader friendly. Also please provide some background theoretical arguments based on class discussions and reading materials. Write 1 and half - two pages would be necessary as well. Hope to see your next "upgraded" post!

    ReplyDelete